Former Super Eagles star midfielder Austin Jay-Jay Okocha faces arrest for tax fraud.
The former professional footballer played as an attacking midfielder, he
is considered as the best Nigerian and one of the best African players of all time.
Okocha’s arrest has been issued by the Lagos High Court in Igbosere, after he repeatedly failed to show up in court when charged for not paying his income taxes.
The 45-year old was not given preferential treatment by the judicial system for his achievements wearing the green and white of Nigeria across various local and international competitions.
A warrant for his arrest has been ordered by the high court which has taken effect immediately.
The Nigeria striker had an exciting footballing career as he played in Paris saint Germain ,Bolton Wanderers,Qatar, Football League Championship and also made his mark in one of the Premier League sides Hull City
He won individual awards like
- Goal of the Year (Germany): 1993
- Nigerian Footballer of the Year: 1995, 1997, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005; runner-up: 1996
- African Footballer of the Year runner-up: 1998
- FIFA World Cup All-Star Team (Reserve): 1998
- BBC African Footballer of the Year: 2003, 2004
- BBC Goal of the Month: April 2003
- Premier League Player of the Month: November 2003
- African Cup of Nations Golden Boot: 2004
- African Cup of Nations Best Player: 2004
- Bolton Wanderers Player of the Year: 2004–05